Total Pageviews

Thursday 6 October 2011

On the road to a new business launch

Hi all,
My name is Dr. Daniel White and I have spent more years than I care to remember at University. 

At some point during this wonderful journey into academia I discovered that although I now had quite a diverse field of knowledge (well quite a diverse group of letters after my name) yet there was no real avenue in which to pass on this knowledge. I have always enjoyed teaching (or possibly the sound of my own voice) but felt that University level teaching was too dry, too structured and dull. Conversely the level I wanted to teach at would never fit into the world of primary and secondary level schools. 

Having taught before, I understood that the most fun a teacher can have is when the class wants to learn, not because they are aiming to get a good mark or because it is required to complete their certificate but because they have a burning desire to know and understand these things. I felt that truely enjoy teaching I would have to find a venue that contained students that wanted to do just that.

During my final year at University studying Psychology, I realised I was not alone in these views. Furthermore it became apparent that there were many people out there with skills, knowledge and the drive to pass this information on but like myself no avenue to do just that. Certainly they could apply for University positions but they are few and far between and usually required years of teaching experience. Where was someone suppose to get this experience? This was the second aim of Hale&fun, to create the opportunity for people to develop their practical teaching skills. To find out what worked and what didnt and how better to light the fire to strive for that sort of mastery than by teaching what you love to people eager to learn?


Hale&Fun is the extension of these experiences and objectives. The aim of this community of teachers is two-fold: to gain the skills required to become the best possible teachers we can and more importantly to be able to bring our love of our own respective fields to an audience that really wants to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment