Total Pageviews

Thursday 24 November 2011

The Hard Sell

Selling is hard.
That is what I have discovered over the last couple of days where I have really dedicated myself to getting the name of Hale & Fun out there both in the press and to all the retirement villages, community centres and so forth.  Probably doesn't come as huge revelation to most people but for someone like myself who was nurtured in the safe halls of academia before this it has come as a cold shower. That doesn't mean I am not use to rejection, I am a 30 plus (yes I am metrosexual enough to start using that) male with no athletic ability, the dancing ability that has been described by one compassionate soul as akin to an epileptic mongoose and a habit of reference either zombie movies or comic books in everyday conversation (by the by is everyone watching the Walking dead- brilliant series..the comics are better..oh yeah I am one of those people as well) so I am used to rejection or cold disinterest, but in the world of academia you are generally among other people who the outside world has rejected so like penguins in the cold you huddle together and are warmed by each other body heat.

Not so much in the world of business...at least for the sole trader just starting out. Case in point, the first cold calling episode. There I was bright eyed and bushy tailed. I had a go get 'em attitude and a warm cup of Joe. I even had written on my desktop- Boss-The Buck stops here. It was the 1980s and I was Gordon Gecko.  The first words out of the potential client mouth were "please remove our business and associated businesses from your list we are not interested in your business and do not wish to hear from you again". I don't remember seeing that seen in Wall street. Still their loss is someone else's gain and while we don't have any definitely clients on board yet, things have definitely improved from that point. Hale & Fun have sent out more emails and phone calls to potential clients and media outlets in the last week than I care to imagine- Although because I am slight anal about such things (hehe anal- oh yeah did I mention immature sense of humour? another reason for rejection) I do have all it down in a wonderful spread sheet and in my business diary. So while things are still moving slowly (Where is the huge client who says "why yes that is exactly what I have been looking for- you sir are a genius here is a blank cheque go forth and prosper...and why we are at it, please date my daughter who beyond being daughter to my fortune is also intrigued by the world of graphic novels and zombies...it would mean alot to me if you did"?). There is a lot of good feedback and interest. Now to stoke those embers of interest into a bushfire of consumer feeding frenzy (hmm, I may be mixing metaphors there, I have been watching alot of seminars on being a good sales person and they seem to really love their metaphors, they get a little confusing at times). Either way, I am predicting that 2012 will be the year of Hale & Fun.

Another positive thing is an article written by Flying Solo- here is the link  http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/live-smarter/working-alone/solo-business-owner-we-are-the-soul-traders I recommend everyone read it because quite frankly it makes us small entrepreneurs sound pretty damn awesome and I need something like that to make spending my friday night trolling retirement bulletin boards and discussion forums for leads worthwhile.

1 comment:

  1. I find that strong emotional discipline is required so that you don't become depressed if people criticised your product one day or become happy if others love your product the next day. As long as you believe in the product, you can sell it. (Brushing up on selling skills help as well of course).
    Well written post btw.

    ReplyDelete